(Sr.) Associate Computational Biologist
ShapeTX® is pioneering the field of programmable RNA medicines to repair the genetic causes of diseases. By merging innovations in AI and RNA technology to generate and analyze hundreds of billions of therapeutic possibilities, ShapeTX is developing breakthroughs in RNA editing, next-generation AAVs, and disruptive gene therapy manufacturing. The ShapeTX platform enables pharma innovators to design treatments across a wide range of diseases, including rare genetic disorders as well as debilitating conditions, such as Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, and many more. You can find us at shapetx.com and on LinkedIn and Twitter.
At ShapeTX, we are a dynamic team of professionals who are dedicated and passionate about making cures a reality. Through diversity of thought, scientific knowledge, professional rigor and focus we are merging cutting-edge science with extensive drug development expertise to unlock cures to many debilitating diseases.
Shape Therapeutics is headquartered in Seattle, Washington with a satellite site in Boston, Massachusetts.
ShapeTX is looking for a highly motivated individual with a strong interest and experience in data science and Next-Generation Sequencing (NGS) to join the fast-growing Analytics and Informatics team as an Associate/Sr. Associate Computational Biologist. The successful candidate will have the unique opportunity to work with diverse molecular and NGS datasets covering a range of biological questions critical to improving the efficacy of gene therapies. The ideal candidate will have experience applying bioinformatics and statistical methods to high-dimensional datasets for testing scientific hypotheses, with specific expertise in handling NGS components and data structures. This individual will work in an environment catered to broadening and enhancing their computational skills while playing a vital role in advancing novel gene therapies that treat serious human genetic diseases.
Why join ShapeAI?
- Interdisciplinary Collaborations: Engage in high-level research across a broad range of scientific disciplines and departments.
- State-of-the-Art Technologies: Access to tremendous amounts of data generated from novel gene therapy platforms coupled with high-performance computing and generative ML infrastructure.
- Professional Growth: Strong mentorship from experienced computational scientists coupled with opportunities for training and career development.
What You’ll Do:
- Design and implement strategies to reproducibly process and analyze NGS data using the latest bioinformatics and statistical methods to rigorously test biological hypotheses.
- Act as the go-to computational expert in collaborative efforts, independently executing analyses and refining processes with a firm understanding of larger projects and corporate goals.
- Generate and present impactful data visuals that enable scientific inferences and facilitate data-driven decision-making.
- Interface with experimentalists to discuss experimental design and incorporate appropriate methodologies to ensure rigorous and accurate results.
- Utilize and cross-compare diverse analytical strategies using quality control metrics to troubleshoot and optimize computational workflows for disparate data types.
- Proactively learn, test, and adapt new software and methods to streamline and improve computational and analytical workflows.
- Maintain clearly documented code, and effectively collaborate and iterate for further optimization.
- Work alongside the Analytics and Informatics team, adjusting priorities as needed to meet evolving business objectives.
What You Bring:
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computational Biology, Statistics, Genomics, Bioinformatics or related fields
Skills and Experience:
- Passion for building tools and executing strategies that optimally leverage novel NGS data using computational methodologies.
- Demonstrated expertise in processing and analyzing disparate molecular data types and structures, g. amplicon sequencing, long-read sequencing, small RNA-Seq, proteomics.
- Experience in interpreting scientific results independently and articulating conclusions and recommendations based on strong scientific reasoning.
- Proven problem-solving skills, particularly in debugging and pressure testing computational and inferential workflows.
- Demonstrated expertise in a programming language (R, Python) and common data science tools (tidyverse, pandas).
- Experience with cloud-based services (e.g. AWS) or HPC clusters, along with version control systems (e.g. Git).
- Superb attention to detail and meticulous organizational skills with ability to simultaneously progress multiple distinct projects.
- Effective and proactive communication.
- Ability to work both independently to perform computational analyses and collaboratively with a team-player mindset.
- Ability to tackle challenges with a problem-solving, can-do attitude, with the flexibility necessary to work in a fast-paced, start-up environment.
- Experience with statistical modeling with biological datasets
- Familiarity working with bespoke high-throughput screen data
- Background in molecular biology or NGS experimental protocols
- Specialized knowledge in virology, protein biology, RNA biology, neurobiology, or genetic diseases
If the notion of analyzing novel NGS and molecular datasets towards providing an end-to-end gene therapy solution for millions suffering worldwide from rare genetic disorders motivates you like it does us, we’re very excited to have you join us!
ShapeTX offers a robust benefits package, including but not limited to: Medical, Dental and Vision coverage for employees and their eligible dependents. We provide eligible employees with 12 paid Holidays plus a one-week winter break at year end. We are proud to offer a competitive paid parental leave benefit, an annual employee stipend for employees to use however they choose, a Flex Paid Time Off program (allowing flexible PTO for vacation, sick leave, and other purposes) and Company paid Long Term Disability. Employees are eligible to enroll in our Company’s voluntary 401k plan, voluntary Life/AD&D and Voluntary FSA’s.
The salary range for an Associate Computational Biologist is $105,000-$140,000 and the salary range for a Sr. Associate Computational Biologist is $110,000-$155,000. The hired applicant's placement within the range is based on qualifications and professional experience. Additional compensation may include annual target bonus and/or sign-on bonus, equity grant and relocation bonus.
We aspire to Shape Life! not only through our science, but also through our commitment to foster an inclusive environment that supports diverse perspectives and experiences.