Associate/Senior Associate Scientist, Neuroscience
ShapeTX® is pioneering the field of programmable RNA medicines to repair the genetic causes of diseases. By merging innovations in AI and RNA technology to generate and analyze hundreds of billions of therapeutic possibilities, ShapeTX is developing breakthroughs in RNA editing, next-generation AAVs, and disruptive gene therapy manufacturing. The ShapeTX platform enables pharma innovators to design treatments across a wide range of diseases, including rare genetic disorders as well as debilitating conditions, such as Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, and many more. You can find us at shapetx.com and on LinkedIn and Twitter.
At ShapeTX, we are a dynamic team of professionals who are dedicated and passionate about making cures a reality. Through diversity of thought, scientific knowledge, professional rigor and focus we are merging cutting-edge science with extensive drug development expertise to unlock cures to many debilitating diseases.
Shape Therapeutics is headquartered in Seattle, Washington with a satellite site in Boston, Massachusetts.
ShapeTx is looking for a highly motivated individual to join the Neuroscience Pipeline Research team as an Associate Scientist/ Senior Associate Scientist. In this role, the successful candidate will play an important role in establishing and maintaining iPSC-related resources to support activities for evaluating ShapeTX’s novel RNAfixTM, RNAskipTM, and RNAswapTM technology platforms in neurological indications. The ideal candidate will have broad cell culture and neurobiology experience with expertise in iPSC maintenance and differentiation as well as a desire to work in a collaborative fast-paced startup environment.
What You’ll Do:
- Independently plan and execute experiments to support iPSC-related activities and lead candidate selection
- Expand, maintain, differentiate, and cryopreserve iPSC lines
- Develop and optimize SOPs for iPSC maintenance and differentiation
- Train others in best practices and standard protocols for iPSC culture and differentiation
- Collaboratively develop in vitro iPSC models of disease-specific pathologies
- Effectively communicate cross-functionally to coordinate and participate in molecular assay development, reagent generation, vector optimization, and in vivo pharmacology studies
- Analyze and communicate results in written and oral presentations
- Maintain a detailed and up-to-date electronic laboratory notebook
- Mentor and collaborate with peers and more junior employees
What You Bring:
- Associate Scientist: MS with 3+ years or BS with 5+ years of experience in neuroscience, stem cell biology, or other relevant scientific disciplines
- Senior Associate Scientist: MS with 5+ years or BS with 7+ years of experience in neuroscience, stem cell biology, or other relevant scientific disciplines
- Demonstrated proficiency and knowledge of iPSC culture, maintenance, and cryopreservation.
- Experience with differentiation of iPSCs. Neural and glial cell types are a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot iPSC culture and differentiation protocols.
Skills and Experience:
- Passion for benchwork
- Extensive cell culture experience maintaining and differentiating iPSC lines, neuronal cell lines, and/or primary cells
- Experience with in vitro model development
- Experience with in vitro models of neurodegenerative disease
- Experience with molecular biology techniques (DNA/RNA purification, PCR, Sanger sequencing, qPCR, NGS applications)
- Experience with protein analysis techniques (Flow cytometry/FACS, ELISA, Western blotting)
- Experience with fluorescence microscopy
- Takes initiative with demonstrated ability to troubleshoot and think analytically
- Ability to multitask and support multiple projects simultaneously
- Exquisite attention to detail and organization
- A collaborative, team player, and good lab citizen
- Effective and proactive communication
ShapeTX offers a robust benefits package, including but not limited to: Medical, Dental and Vision coverage for employees and their eligible dependents. We provide eligible employees with 12 paid Holidays plus a one-week winter break at year end. We are proud to offer a competitive paid parental leave benefit, an annual employee stipend for employees to use however they choose, a Flex Paid Time Off program (allowing flexible PTO for vacation, sick leave, and other purposes) and Company paid Long Term Disability. Employees are eligible to enroll in our Company’s voluntary 401k plan, voluntary Life/AD&D and Voluntary FSA’s.
The salary range for the Associate Scientist role is $82,000-$110,000, and the salary range for the Senior Associate Scientist role is $92,000-$124,000. The hired applicant's placement within the range is based on qualifications and professional experience. Additional compensation may include annual target bonus and/or sign-on bonus, equity grant and relocation bonus.
We aspire to Shape Life! not only through our science, but also through our commitment to foster an inclusive environment that supports diverse perspectives and experiences.