Senior Associate Scientist/Scientist, In Vivo Pharmacology
ShapeTX® is pioneering the field of programmable RNA medicines to repair the genetic causes of diseases. By merging innovations in AI and RNA technology to generate and analyze hundreds of billions of therapeutic possibilities, ShapeTX is developing breakthroughs in RNA editing, next-generation AAVs, and disruptive gene therapy manufacturing. The ShapeTX platform enables pharma innovators to design treatments across a wide range of diseases, including rare genetic disorders as well as debilitating conditions, such as Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, and many more. You can find us at shapetx.com and on LinkedIn and Twitter.
At ShapeTX, we are a dynamic team of professionals who are dedicated and passionate about making cures a reality. Through diversity of thought, scientific knowledge, professional rigor and focus we are merging cutting-edge science with extensive drug development expertise to unlock cures to many debilitating diseases.
Shape Therapeutics is headquartered in Seattle, Washington with a satellite site in Boston, Massachusetts.
ShapeTx is looking for a highly motivated individual to join the Pipeline Research team as a Senior Associate Scientist/Scientist, In Vivo Pharmacology. In this role, the successful candidate will design and execute in vivo models to evaluate ShapeTX’s novel RNAfixTM and RNAskipTM technology platforms. The ideal candidate will have hands-on in vivo experience, a collaborative spirit, and a desire to work in a fast-paced startup environment.
What You’ll Do:
- Independently develop or follow established protocols, analyze, and communicate results.
- Design, plan, and execute in vivo studies in a wide variety of mouse models.
- Support the implementation and validation of new mouse models of human diseases.
- Lead the development of flow cytometry protocols for primary cells from a variety of tissues for the in vivo team.
- Perform routine procedures and injections (IV, IM, IP, SC) in mice, monitor animal health, and harvest tissue or multiple tissues.
- Perform specialized procedures, such as stereotaxic surgery and transcardial perfusions.
- Perform a broad range of molecular biology techniques (e.g. RNA isolation, cDNA generation, Sanger sequencing, next-generation sequencing, qPCR, ddPCR, etc.)
- Maintain a detailed electronic laboratory notebook
What You Bring:
- Ph.D. with hands-on in vivo murine experience OR
- Excellent BS/MS candidates with 5-10+ years of hands-on in vivo murine experience
- Demonstrated scientific rigor through peer-reviewed publications and/or documented contributions to drug discovery project teams.
Skills and Experience:
- Background with neurodegenerative disease models and assays
- Experience as a leader in training and mentoring junior staff on techniques and scientific development.
- Experience designing and leading studies evaluating novel therapeutics in murine disease models.
- Ability to identify potential problems and think outside the box to make suggestions to improve existing techniques or tasks with a problem-solving, can-do attitude.
- Expertise with flow cytometry, including designing novel flow cytometry panels, testing antibodies, cytometer instrument maintenance, and analyzing and interpreting results.
- Expertise with rodent handling, cell/drug delivery routes, and/or small animal surgery (IV, IP, SC, stereotaxic injection)
- Expertise working with a broad range of in vivo animal models; genetic & neurological disease models are a plus.
- Experience with rodent physiological and behavioral assays (Open Field, Rotarod, Foot Fault, Elevated Plus Maze, etc.)
- Experience with cell isolation and/or DNA and RNA extraction from multiple tissue sources
- Experience working with viral and non-viral gene delivery systems.
- qPCR/ddPCR principles and analysis
- DNA/RNA sequencing and analysis
- Strong work ethic and a collaborative, team player
- Ability to multitask and support multiple projects simultaneously
ShapeTX offers a robust benefits package, including but not limited to: Medical, Dental and Vision coverage for employees and their eligible dependents. We provide eligible employees with 12 paid Holidays plus a one-week winter break at year end. We are proud to offer a competitive paid parental leave benefit, an annual employee stipend for employees to use however they choose, a Flex Paid Time Off program (allowing flexible PTO for vacation, sick leave, and other purposes) and Company paid Long Term Disability. Employees are eligible to enroll in our Company’s voluntary 401k plan, voluntary Life/AD&D and Voluntary FSA’s.
The salary range for the Senior Associate Scientist role is $92,000-$124,000, and the salary range for the Scientist role is $96,000-$144,000. The hired applicant's placement within the range is based on qualifications and professional experience. Additional compensation may include annual target bonus and/or sign-on bonus, equity grant and relocation bonus.
We aspire to Shape Life! not only through our science, but also through our commitment to foster an inclusive environment that supports diverse perspectives and experiences.