Research Associate, Vector Production
ShapeTX® is pioneering the field of programmable RNA medicines to repair the genetic causes of diseases. By merging innovations in AI and RNA technology to generate and analyze hundreds of billions of therapeutic possibilities, ShapeTX is developing breakthroughs in RNA editing, next-generation AAVs, and disruptive gene therapy manufacturing. The ShapeTX platform enables pharma innovators to design treatments across a wide range of diseases, including rare genetic disorders as well as debilitating conditions, such as Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, and many more. You can find us at shapetx.com and on LinkedIn and Twitter.
At ShapeTX, we are a dynamic team of professionals who are dedicated and passionate about making cures a reality. Through diversity of thought, scientific knowledge, professional rigor and focus we are merging cutting-edge science with extensive drug development expertise to unlock cures to many debilitating diseases.
Shape Therapeutics is headquartered in Seattle, Washington with a satellite site in Boston, Massachusetts.
ShapeTX is looking for a highly motivated individual with a strong passion for learning to join the growing Research Therapeutics team as a Research Associate on the Vector Production team. The AAV production team generates recombinant AAV to support the research pipeline and ShapeTX’s novel RNAfixTM, RNAswapTM, and RNAskipTM technology platforms.
In this role, the successful candidate will support virus production and in vitro experiments. An ideal candidate will have strong basic lab skills, experience making buffers and reagents, familiarity with mammalian cell culture and aseptic technique, a collaborative spirit, and a desire to learn and grow in a fast-paced startup environment.
What You’ll Do:
- Prepare media and other reagents to support the AAV production team
- Assist in tissue culture and mammalian cell line maintenance
- Compile data and document scientific work in an electronic laboratory notebook
- With supervision, produce virus and analyze viral function by molecular methods and cell-based assays such as qPCR, Sanger sequencing, and flow cytometry
- With supervision, plan and execute rigorous and well-controlled experiments
- Analyze and communicate results in small team settings
What You Bring:
- BS in Biology or other relevant scientific discipline
- At least 6 months of experience in an industry setting
Skills and Experience
- Strong basic lab techniques: pipetting, buffer preparation, reagent handling, etc.
- Maintenance of a detailed lab notebook
- Proficiency in common data analysis software (Excel, GraphPad Prism, etc.)
- Familiarity with mammalian cell culture and aseptic technique
- Experience with virus production (especially AAV) is beneficial but not necessary
- Cell-based analytics experience (flow cytometry, sorting) is a plus
- Familiarity with molecular methods (qPCR, Sanger Sequencing, etc.) is a plus
- Ability to troubleshoot and think analytically
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a team-science environment
- Ability to think outside the box and tackle challenges with a problem-solving, can-do attitude
- Passion for benchwork
- Demonstrates initiative and strong work ethic
- Exquisite attention to detail and organization
Compensation & Benefits
ShapeTX offers a robust benefits package, including but not limited to: Medical, Dental and Vision coverage for employees and their eligible dependents. We provide eligible employees with 12 paid Holidays plus a one week winter break at year end. We are proud to offer a competitive paid parental leave benefit, an annual employee stipend for employees to use however they choose, a Flex Paid Time Off program (allowing flexible PTO for vacation, sick leave, and other purposes) and Company paid Long Term Disability. Employees are eligible to enroll in our Company’s voluntary 401k plan, voluntary Life/AD&D and Voluntary FSA’s.
The salary range for this role is $61,000 – $83,000. The hired applicant's placement within the range is based on qualifications and professional experience. Additional compensation may include annual target bonus and/or sign-on bonus, equity grant and relocation bonus.
We aspire to Shape Life! not only through our science, but also through our commitment to foster an inclusive environment that supports diverse perspectives and experiences.