Scientist, Upstream Development
ShapeTX® is pioneering the field of programmable RNA medicines to repair the genetic causes of diseases. By merging innovations in AI and RNA technology to generate and analyze hundreds of billions of therapeutic possibilities, ShapeTX is developing breakthroughs in RNA editing, next-generation AAVs, and disruptive gene therapy manufacturing. The ShapeTX platform enables pharma innovators to design treatments across a wide range of diseases, including rare genetic disorders as well as debilitating conditions, such as Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, and many more. You can find us at shapetx.com and on LinkedIn and Twitter.
At ShapeTX, we are a dynamic team of professionals who are dedicated and passionate about making cures a reality. Through diversity of thought, scientific knowledge, professional rigor and focus we are merging cutting-edge science with extensive drug development expertise to unlock cures to many debilitating diseases.
Shape Therapeutics is headquartered in Seattle, Washington with a satellite site in Boston, Massachusetts.
The Process and Product Development (P&PD) group at ShapeTX is looking for a highly motivated Scientist with specific experience in cell culture media and process optimization. In this role, the successful candidate will perform a variety of laboratory experiments that support the development and implementation of ShapeTX’s proprietary rAAV production platform. Primary responsibilities will include media optimization for rAAV production using proprietary stable producer cell lines. The ideal candidate will have a diligent and detail-oriented working style. You will be expected to keep detailed experimental records and precisely communicate experimental results to your supervisor and team members. This is an excellent opportunity to join a rapidly growing biotechnology company and have a tangible impact on the development of novel platforms and products that treat serious human disease.
What You’ll Do:
- Cell culture media optimization to improve viral vector yield and product quality
- Cell line and upstream process improvement and intensification
- Optimize small scale and bioreactor runs for optimum vector production
- Work with external partners on technology development projects
- Document technical results and best practices in ELNs, SOPs, summary reports, etc.
- Efficiently organize time and resources to meet deadlines
- Maintain a detailed electronic laboratory notebook
What you Bring:
- Bachelor of Science degree in Cellular Biology, Engineering, Biochemistry, Biology, or a related discipline with 5+ years of post-degree experience in an academic or industry research capacity or Masters with 2-3 years of post-degree experience
- Ph.D. in Cellular Biology, Engineering, Biochemistry, Biology, or a related discipline with 0-2 years post-degree experience.
Skills and Experience:
- Experience with aseptic technique and small-scale mammalian cell culture
- Experience with bioreactor operations
- Experience generating and analyzing large datasets to understand impact of process parameters on product yield and quality
- Experience with statistical software like JMP
- Prior experience in cell culture process optimization in an industry or academic setting is highly desirable
- Experience working with viral vectors is desirable
- Experience with electronic lab notebooks
- Ability to troubleshoot and think analytically
- Strong work ethic and a team player
- Ability to effectively communicate via email, interpersonally, and in presentation
ShapeTX offers a robust benefits package, including but not limited to: Medical, Dental and Vision coverage for employees and their eligible dependents. We provide eligible employees with 12 paid Holidays plus a one week winter break at year end. We are proud to offer a competitive paid parental leave benefit, an annual employee stipend for employees to use however they choose, a Flex Paid Time Off program (allowing flexible PTO for vacation, sick leave, and other purposes) and Company paid Long Term Disability. Employees are eligible to enroll in our Company’s voluntary 401k plan, voluntary Life/AD&D and Voluntary FSA’s.
The salary range for this role is $95,000-$145,000. The hired applicant's placement within the range is based on qualifications and professional experience. Additional compensation may include annual target bonus and/or sign-on bonus, equity grant and relocation bonus.
We aspire to Shape Life! not only through our science, but also through our commitment to foster an inclusive environment that supports diverse perspectives and experiences.