Senior Staff Software Engineer, SMB
Build the first modern logistics platform
Flexport is building the first modern logistics platform to make global trade easier for everyone. We are solving complex problems on a global scale, and disrupting a multi-trillion dollar industry that has remained stubbornly unchanged.
Small and Midsize Business (SMB) Engineering
Flexport’s mission is to make global trade easy for everyone.
While developments in ecommerce and marketplace technology have enabled millions of small and medium-sized businesses (SMBs) to source goods and reach consumers globally, these businesses still struggle to participate in the highly manual and legacy world of global trade. We believe entrepreneurs should be focused on growing their business instead of having to worry about the intimate mechanics of freight forwarding. At Flexport, we aim to build SMBs a platform to make shipping from and to anywhere an easy and seamless experience that just works!
The Flexport SMB team is focused on taking care of this undifferentiated heavy lifting and leveling the playing field using tech instead of human touch. We want to make the experience so simple and easy that re-stocking an item for sale is a one click action, instead of the days of effort it takes today!
Come distill the complicated world of Global Trade down to make it accessible to everyone and give entrepreneurs the powers of industry titans.
- Build SMB focused experiences across mobile and web that enables thousands of SMBs to seamlessly onboard and ship their goods easily.
- Connect with 3rd party ecommerce ecosystems like Shopify for a more seamless ecommerce selling & shipping motion.
- Build a suite of platform services to enable experiences and core functionality.
- Design systems that represent the real-world intricacies of logistics entities, such as cargo, routing, customs, and pricing.
- Craft the architectural strategy, and own the technical landscape, for a major domain in the world of logistics that powers global trade.
- Work closely with business partners and product managers to distill complex business problems into elegant technical solutions.
- Build and launch products rapidly and incrementally. We ship to production dozens of times per day.
- Geek out about shipping and logistics. (We do this often.)
You should have:
- 10+ years of experience writing software, and a strong engineering background.
- Experience building large scale, high-performance systems in a complex, multi-tiered, distributed environment
- Knowledge of at least one programming language such as Ruby, C, C++, Java, or Kotlin
- 8+ years of design and architecture knowledge as well as familiarity with object-oriented analysis and design patterns (OOA/OOD)
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related technical field, or equivalent experience
- A love of simple, well-tested code that is easy to extend and hard to break.
- The ability to convey technical ideas in common terms to business partners, product managers, and engineers alike.
- Understanding of performance tradeoffs, load balancing and operational issues
- Demonstrated ability to mentor junior software engineers in all aspects of their engineering skill-sets
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, continuous deployments, testing, and operations
- Non-optional: an aptitude for learning quickly.
Our continuous releases are integrated with Buildkite and Github. On the frontend, we create our views with React, manage the flow of data with GraphQL/Relay, and test our application with Jest. On the backend, we’re in the process of decoupling our monolithic Rails app. We have introduced a few network isolated services using other languages, such as Java and Clojure. Our data is persisted in Postgres and Redis. Our stack is hosted on AWS using Docker.
At Flexport, we believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make it easy and accessible for everyone. We’re shaping the future of a $8.6T industry with solutions powered by innovative technology and exceptional people. Today, companies of all sizes—from emerging brands to Fortune 500s—use Flexport technology to move more than $19B of merchandise across 112 countries a year.
The recent global supply chain crisis has put Flexport center stage as we continue to play a pivotal role in how goods move around the world. At a valuation of $8B, we’re experiencing record growth and are proud to have the support of the best investors in the game who believe in our mission, solutions and people. Ready to tackle global challenges that impact business, society, and the environment? Come join us.
Worried about not having any logistics experience?
Don’t be! Our mission is to make global trade easy for everyone. That’s why it’s important to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the global logistics industry forward.
We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To learn more about what our tech teams have been up to, head to the Engineering Blog.
Something looks off?