Staff Software Engineer, Client Platform Foundation
Build the programs to help Flexport grow
About Client Platform Foundation
Client Platform Foundation is part of the Customer Platform organization whose goal is to provide a world-class product to help business clients create, manage and analyze their global supply chain shipments. Our mission is to build a world-class data foundation to empower fast data orchestration and backend+frontend infra to empower fast page loading & data query latency.
As a team, we own a data orchestration system that consumes data from all supply chain logistics systems and transforms them into Customer Platform data models, indexing and storing. It is the single source of truth of Flexport data. When joining us as a Staff Engineer, you will work closely with 10+ logistics domain teams, learn their data sets, design an architecture to consume the streaming events from the domain teams, index & store them, and built a data serving engine to satisfy 5+ client platform team’s used cases where the data are displayed on product UI and via public API.
- Work closely with upstream product teams to design scalable data orchestration middleware service to serve supply chain data for client problems
- Work closely with downstream logistics domain teams to understand logistics domain data sets, design a client-centric domain modeling entity schema and
- Design data storage architecture based on event streaming consumption
- Profile database query latency analysis, identify optimization opportunities to minimize query latency
- Design flexible, maintainable code
- Safeguard code quality on your team, reviewing others’ code with an eye to performance and maintainability
- Collaborate with engineering teams to execute against the vision and roadmap
- Work closely with designers and product managers to distill complex business problems into elegant technical solutions.
- Be part of a close-knit engineering team that ships new code into production multiple times a day
You should have:
- A minimum of 8 years of professional experience writing software
- Proficiency in full stack product development
- Experience working with data intensive systems
- Experience migrating large monolithic applications to service-oriented architecture (is a plus, but not required)
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related technical field, or equivalent experience
- The ability to convey technical ideas in common terms to business partners, product managers, designers, and engineers alike
- Understanding of performance tradeoffs, load balancing and operational issues
- Demonstrated ability to mentor junior software engineers in all aspects of their engineering skill-sets
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, continuous deployments, testing, and operations
- A bias for action. When you see a problem, you solve it
Our continuous releases are integrated with Buildkite and Github. On the backend, we’re in the process of decoupling our monolithic Rails app into a Micro Services architecture, primarily on JVM languages (Java and Kotlin). Our data is persisted in the right store for the job, typically Postgresql or MangoDB or AWS DocumentDB. Our stack is hosted on AWS using Kubernetes.
At Flexport, we believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make it easy and accessible for everyone. We’re shaping the future of a $8.6T industry with solutions powered by innovative technology and exceptional people. Today, companies of all sizes—from emerging brands to Fortune 500s—use Flexport technology to move more than $19B of merchandise across 112 countries a year.
The recent global supply chain crisis has put Flexport center stage as we continue to play a pivotal role in how goods move around the world. At a valuation of $8 billion, we’re experiencing record growth and are proud to have the support of the best investors in the game who believe in our mission, solutions and people. Ready to tackle global challenges that impact business, society, and the environment? Come join us.
Worried about not having any logistics experience?
Don’t be! Our mission is to make global trade easy for everyone. That’s why it’s important to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the global logistics industry forward.
We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To learn more about what our tech teams have been up to, head to the Engineering Blog.
RQfullstack RQmicroservices RQdatamodeling RQproduct
Something looks off?