Software Engineer II, Operational Finance
Grow your career in FinTech by building a greenfield financial platform for the Silicon Valley unicorn that's reinventing the global supply chain!
Flexport is a world class supply chain technology company. We believe global trade can move the human race forward, and that’s why it’s our mission to make it easy and accessible for everyone. We’re reshaping an $8.6T industry with solutions powered by innovative technology and exceptional people. Today, companies of all sizes use Flexport to move more than $19B of merchandise across 112 countries a year.
At a valuation of $8 billion, we’re experiencing record growth and are proud to have the support of the best investors in the game. Ready to tackle global challenges that impact business, society, and the environment? Come join us.
In Amsterdam, our Operational Finance team is building the FinTech foundation of Flexport to help automate running the business, increase profitability and keep Flexport compliant. You will create systems that
- Keep track of >$5B in cost and revenue across all shipments, in real-time, via ~1M events per day throughout all our shipments lifecycle
- Allow monitoring of the financial health of shipments individually and in aggregate via a resilient data pipeline and versioned storage solution
- Fully automate the financial management of shipments (paying bills, sending invoices) and only involve humans in cases of discrepancy
- Integrate with data engineering and analytics systems to enable historical cost and profitability insights
- Improve financial optimisation and forecasting for the entire company
On the day-to-day you will:
- Work closely with business partners and product managers to distill complex business problems into elegant technical solutions
- Craft the engineering vision, and own the technical landscape, for operational finance in the world of logistics that powers global trade
- Mentor and grow less experienced engineers
- Build and launch products rapidly and incrementally; we ship to production dozens of times per day
- Geek out about FinTech, logistics, financial systems, global trade and analytics (however unlikely this sounds now, we do this often)
- Help bring trade to everyone in the world.
You should have:
- 2-4 years of experience writing software and a strong engineering background
- The capability to think in terms of solutions rather than just pointing out problems
- A love of simple, well-tested code that is easy to extend and hard to break
- The ability to convey technical ideas in common terms to business partners, product managers, designers and engineers alike
- A bias for action. When you see a problem, you solve it
- Proven experience mentoring and providing technical leadership to other engineers
- An aptitude for learning quickly and a desire to develop your tooling repertoire; we are tech-agnostic regarding candidate background
Our continuous releases are integrated with Buildkite and Github. On the frontend, we create our views with React, manage the flow of data with GraphQL/Relay, and test our application with Jest. On the backend, we’re in the process of decoupling our monolithic Rails app and building new services in Kotlin. Our data is persisted in Postgres and MongoDB and our stack is hosted on AWS using Kubernetes.
What we offer:
- Equity: a top of the market equity package based on RSUs (significantly more advantageous than options)
- Flexible working locations: our engineering teams meet in the office 2 times a week. Workations for up to a month
- Yearly bonus: a yearly bonus of 10% of your base salary
- Free lunch/snacks: there is such a thing as free lunch! We can prove it in our office
- We care about your care: we fully cover your health insurance, including dental care
- Visa sponsorship for non-EU citizens
Worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
- Don’t be! We’re building the first Operating System for Global Trade. That’s why it’s incredibly important for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
- What’s freight forwarding and why does it matter? Freight forwarding is the coordination and shipment of goods from one place to another and it’s what makes global trade possible. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it can help connect the world and break down economic barriers.
- We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Something looks off?