Senior Software Engineer, Customs
Moving goods across international borders remains the last and most gnarly piece of global trade. While anyone can found a company these days, set up a webshop and receive international payments, getting a container from a factory in Asia to your warehouse in Rotterdam or Chicago remains so complex that you need specialized people to handle this for you.
The Customs team is changing this, by automating customs declarations to an unprecedented level. We bring automation that is currently only available to the world's largest companies who have the money to invest in such tooling, to every entrepreneur who wants to move any amount of goods.
On top of that, being a tech-first customs broker we can give our clients unparalleled insight into their customs processes providing them with significant cost savings, better risk control and significantly better inventory control. This allows companies to provide a more reliable service to their customers, at a more competitive price.
- Re-architecting customs core to handle exponential growth
- Developing the world’s first public customs API any third party can integrate with to clear goods
- Continue to expand our product, and double the amount of automation every year.
Things we ❤️
- Modeling extremely complex and ambiguous domains into fully automated workflows
- Building highly performant and reliable Kotlin services on our cutting edge infrastructure platform
- Collaborating with our end users across the globe to make the best possible product for them: removing toil and surfacing interesting cases
How we work:
- We come to the office at least once a week to hang out, have lunch, white board, and collaborate
- We have the latest and greatest MacBook Pros, a remote dev server, and all the tools you need
- We’re agile, but not married to a single doctrine like scrum. The teams decide how they work best.
- We have flexible work hours. We have a sister team in the US, and use Tuesdays to create overlap with them until 8pm. People take time-for-time if they work late.
- Stack: we’re coming from a React/Flow + Ruby on Rails monolith, and moving to React/Typescript, Kotlin Microservices on Kubernetes. We also use and love GraphQL, GRPC, Postgres, Istio, Kafka, Snowflake, Amplitude
- Incredible stock option plan (RSUs), that has tremendous growth potential
- Yearly bonus: a yearly bonus of 10% of your base salary
- Free lunch/snacks: there is such a thing as free lunch! We can prove it in our office
- Fully covered health insurance and dental care
You should have:
- 5+ years of experience writing software, and a strong engineering background.
- A love of simple, well-tested code that is easy to extend and hard to break.
- The ability to convey technical ideas in common terms to business partners, product managers, designers and engineers alike.
- A bias for action. When you see a problem, you solve it.
- A desire to develop your tooling repertoire. We are tech-agnostic regarding candidate background, but our platform is built with Ruby.
- Non-optional: an aptitude for learning quickly.
At Flexport, we believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make it easy and accessible for everyone. We’re shaping the future of a $8.6T industry with solutions powered by innovative technology and exceptional people. Today, companies of all sizes—from emerging brands to Fortune 500s—use Flexport technology to move more than $19B of merchandise across 112 countries a year.
The recent global supply chain crisis has put Flexport center stage as we continue to play a pivotal role in how goods move around the world. At a valuation of $8 billion, we’re experiencing record growth and are proud to have the support of the best investors in the game who believe in our mission, solutions and people. Ready to tackle global challenges that impact business, society, and the environment? Come join us.
Worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
- Don’t be! We’re building the first Operating System for Global Trade. That’s why it’s incredibly important for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
- What’s freight forwarding and why does it matter? Freight forwarding is the coordination and shipment of goods from one place to another and it’s what makes global trade possible. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it can help connect the world and break down economic barriers.
- We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Something looks off?